Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Death on the High Seas and a Distant Relative

Question: My relative Anna Harms came to US on the ship the SS Nederland but died at sea. The story has come down through the generations that she was buried in Souder's Station Montgomery County PA. But we have searched and searched in the cemeteries and with the Mennonite communities but so far have not found proof of this. I wonder if you could please help to direct us? We are so lost without knowing where she is buried. Thank you so very much.


Answer: Wow! That’s really an interesting story. If Anna passed away in 1874 she would never have been buried in Souderton. There are only two cemeteries in Souderton and the earliest one wasn’t started until 1879. I checked a few of my books on cemeteries in the area but also did not see her name. I guess the biggest question is in 1874 how did they handle a death on board ship? Were they still doing burials at sea at that time and did they have a place to store the body? Without refrigeration I can’t imagine they would have kept a body? And if they were close to docking wouldn’t the body have been buried where they docked? I am no expert on that subject nor am I an expert on where they would have registered the death. Again I think that would have been in the port of arrival. I think I would find out first how they handled ship deaths in that time period. Good luck and let us know if you find out anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment